The BFA in Art Education program prepares art teachers at the elementary, middle, and high school levels to promote the central role of the visual arts in the lives of their students. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a professional knowledge of fundamental art concepts, materials, and teaching techniques.
Students are required to take 45 hours in art courses beyond the 18 required in Area VI of the core curriculum, including:
- painting, printmaking, ceramics, sculpture
- a studio sequence
- 12 hours of studio electives at the 3000/4000 level
- 6 hours in Art Education
- 9 hours in Art History at the 3000/4000 level
Additionally, students must take:
- 18 hours in professional Education that included 9 hours of student teaching
Applying to the Art Education Major
Area Admission Requirements
- Completion of Area F with a GPA of 3.00 or above in these courses,
- Completion of or enrollment in ARED 2110 Critical and Contemporary Issues in Education.
- An overall 2.5 G.P.A. is required for admission and must be maintained to remain in the major.
- Passing score on GACE Basic Skills (or exemptions based on college entrance exam scores:
- Combined minimum 1000 SAT: Verbal-Critical Reading and Mathematics / 43 ACT
- 35 hours of early field experiences in schools or community settings (see Early Experiences for details). NOTE: Observational and instructional experience that is gained as a part of UGA credited coursework may not be counted towards Early Experiences
- A 500 word statement outlining the reasons for majoring in art education
- A copy of the student's current degree audit (printable from Degree Works)
When To Apply
Applications to the major are due on the following dates:
- October 1
- March 1
In order to apply, you will need digital files (pdf format) of the following documents:
- Your typed and signed Art Ed Early Experience Form
- Your most current degree audit (printable from Degree Works)
- Your 500 word statement outlining your reasons for majoring in art education
- Evidence of GACE scores or exemption which includes a combined minimum 1000 SAT: Verbal-Critical Reading and Mathematics/ 43 ACT
- 5 Digital images of artwork created in university studio courses. Please label each file with course name (e.g. last name.studiowork.ARST2110.pdf).
Files must be pdf format and the file names should be as follows:
For example: smith.artedearlyexperienceform.pdf
Please send an email to the area chair, Dr. Lynn Sanders-Bustle, indicating your intent to submit application materials and including the following information:
- UGA My ID
- Student ID number (9 digit number starting with 810 or 811)
Once your email is received, you will be added to an eLC site which will provide instructions for submitting your digital files.
Please note that all digital files must be uploaded to the eLC site by the application deadline.
COMPLETION OF THE MAJOR AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
66 hours of course work in the major. Minimum grade of C required for all courses. A passing scores on GACE Art Education I & II is required for Georgia Teacher Certification (Level 4).