The Lamar Dodd School of Art is one of the largest, highly ranked university art programs in the nation.
With over 1000 art majors, the faculty and staff are dedicated to providing the highest level of instruction in studio art, design, art education, and art history. The School attracts highly qualified and talented students who are seeking to study art at a major comprehensive university. The faculty is made up of nationally recognized artists and scholars who promote a rigorous and lively creative atmosphere conducive to experimentation, innovation, scholarship and creative inquiry.
In addition to its on-campus facilities, the School also has a year-round Studies Abroad Program in Cortona, Italy, that has served over 4,000 students from 400 American institutions since its inception in 1969. More recently the School has expanded the international opportunities for study in art to include programs in Costa Rica, Ghana, England, Australia, and New Zealand.
In addition to curricular breadth at the undergraduate level, the School offers graduate degrees in ten disciplines. The School is housed in five different facilities on campus, including a $40M building (opened fall 2008) with state-of-the-art studios, lecture halls, galleries, and visual resource center located next door to the Georgia Museum of Art, the School of Music, and the Performing Arts Center. A new ceramics building opened nearby in the fall of 2010. Another building project is underway on North Campus to improve facilities for Jewelry & Metals and Sculpture.
Founded in 1937, the School of Art is named for Lamar Dodd who as a young man in the 1920's traveled from his home in Georgia to New York to be part of the Art Student's League. There he learned from and worked with many of the luminaries of American art. He returned to Georgia to head the Art Department at the University of Georgia from 1939 until his retirement in 1972. Under his leadership, the department grew significantly. The department was renamed the Lamar Dodd School of Art in 1996.